In Italy, you must see … the inner feeling of every Italian, relax and enjoy life itself, food and beauty, as Victoria does, having visited this country 15 times already. Victoria revealed her secrets: how to travel in Italy on a budget and shared life hacks that can be very useful when traveling in Italy on your own.
– Let’s get acquainted.
– My name is Victoria. I started traveling on my own 8 years ago. By this time, I have visited 22 countries. Of course, I did not study all countries, but individual cities. But at the same time, she visited Italy 15 times, including Sicily – 9 times. Here I visited more cities!
– Why do you love Italy?
– There are many reasons for this! Pleasant climate, beauty in every city, beautiful language, delicious food, sympathetic and “lively” people. Each city and region of Italy likes something different and beckons to return sooner or later.
– What do you recommend to see in Italy?
– In Italy, you should definitely see… the inner feeling of every Italian, relax and enjoy life itself, food, beauty. It may not work right away, but if you train for a long time, or maybe not for long, you will succeed. But then there is another danger – to fall in love with Italy, and then he will constantly pull there.
– Life hacks in Italy.
Travel in Italy on your own. Tips:
- Going to Italy, take your Mastercard with you, because with Visa money will first be converted into dollars, and only then into euros. And the best way is a currency card or go with dollars / euros.
- Every year in early November, the country hosts Settimana del Barato (barter week) – free accommodation in Italy. During this period, there is the possibility of free accommodation in Italian hotels or b & b in exchange for any service: babysitting or gardening services, massage or foreign language courses. And some hotels have such barter almost all year round. You can find such hotels here: settimanadelbaratto.it.
- There are also services where you can find free accommodation in Italy from local residents in exchange for looking after the house or for pets.
- Resting in Italy for two, family or company, it is profitable to rent an apartment for 30-60 € per day. It is better to book them in advance (1-2 months in advance).
- When to go to Italy? If you want to avoid the heat and the crowds of tourists, it is better to plan your trip in the spring (April-May) or autumn (September-November). For lovers of skiing – late November-early March.
– How to travel on a budget?
– To travel on a budget, you need not be afraid to experiment. For example, learn how to travel without a lot of luggage, maybe spend the night in a hostel. Use a couchsurfing system. This is a free overnight travel, there are many such services on the Internet. Buy your own transport tickets: online or at the machine. Wait and look for air ticket sales. Very often, a quickly purchased ticket will save you money on accommodation or meals.
– How much money do you need to go to Italy?
– It depends on your preference and location. Therefore, it is difficult to name a specific figure. I’ll tell you about my main spending – how much money you need in Italy.
- The price of a flight to Italy depends on the season, November to March is usually cheaper, but also depends on the airline, the number of connections and the availability of sales. For myself, I use the average price of a flight – about 12 thousand rubles. and the flight with transfers lasts up to 10 hours.
- For rental housing in Italy I can spend 10-25 € for a hostel, and 30-50 € for a room. But the most interesting thing is to rent housing and live in real apartments of people who rent them out.
- Transport in Italy I also try to use it with maximum economy. I buy tickets in advance: for trains, buses, if possible. I do not take high-speed and super-expensive options if I have a choice. On average, 5-10 € for one-way transport in Italy is optimal. I move around the city mostly on foot, so 15 km a day is normal for me.
- Excursions rarely take. I read the information itself on the Internet. But more I like to just walk around the city and enjoy what I see. When the weather is bad or I want to see the city from above, I go to museums or bell towers. It helps to save money here city tourist map for the whole day or for 2-3 days. Usually it includes travel around the city. It’s also interesting to find free museums in Italy or visit them during open days for free. Also, on the first Sunday of the month, admission to state museums is free. In general, museums in Italy are not cheap – from 10 €. All these life hacks in Italy help to save money on excursions.
- About food… For me 10-15 € per day is normal. I have breakfast at the hotel or buy groceries from the supermarket for breakfast or dinner. An inexpensive cafe can be visited once a day. Fortunately, I don’t eat so much. I drink too. Trying local drinks and local food. I love to eat something with a local flavor.
– Advise what dishes of Italian cuisine to try?
– Each region has its own special dishes. But there are several that you can try almost everywhere. This is pizza, pasta, ice cream. Look for places where locals eat, don’t be afraid to leave the central streets, look for information from bloggers. Proven places are the best.
– Is it true that Italians are very emotional people?
– Yes it’s true. And the farther south, the more emotionally they wave their arms. On Saturday evenings in the pizzeria you can expect a lot of noise from people talking at the same time and children running around. By the way, Italians often take their children anywhere and everywhere and let them do almost whatever they want. Be prepared for this. And if you hear loud screams and several people are vigorously waving their hands at each other, do not call the police. Most likely people are just talking emotionally.
– When do sales start in Italy and are there really good discounts there?
– Sales in Italy start immediately after the new year: from early January to February-early March, and summer sales in Italy run from July to late August. Discounts in Italy are really very good, and not like in Russia. Raised the price, then wrote the previous one and wrote a 50% discount.
– Tell us interesting facts about Italy.
Italy is not one whole country, but 20 united regions, each with its own original dishes, traditions and dialect.
Here are some interesting facts about Italy:
- In Italy, you cannot open an umbrella indoors because Italians believe that it can bring bad luck.
- It is normal for a man to live with his mother until the age of 40.
- Italians do not shout or swear – they talk like that. Especially in the south.
– What does travel give you?
– Traveling, especially in Italy, gives me energy for several months ahead. I love to learn new things and share everything that I learn with my readers. After all, I have an Instagram account @ vetochka.travel and a blog viksitur.livejournal.com.
– Your advice to a tourist who is traveling on his own.
– Do not be afraid to discover new places, experience new sensations, go wherever you look, and not where the guide will direct you. The best experiences are unexpected.
Instagram: @ vetochka.travel
Interviewed by Olga Avrakh